« Home | Ballet » | We went to Tulsa... » | Popsicles » | Meta data 3D » | Mission Trip Overview 2007 » | Milestones » | Greetings From Nicaragua! » | Dancing Away » | Happy Birthday Claire! » | May is over » 

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 

Clean Kiddos

 

Here's our nightly routine. We switched from our front bathroom to ours when the kids decided they liked the bubbles in the jacuzi tub better, plus it gives us more room (and keeps the other bath clean!).

Also, I saw an article the other day that I thought was well known, but I guess not. Basically its summed up as this: For all of you that don't browse much, you don't have to put "http://" or even "www" into the address bar in your browser if you are typing it. Just the name and .org, .com, etc. Most modern browsers auto fill that in for you (or the sites redirect).
Posted by Picasa

Or you can type the name sans "www" and "com" and then hit ctrl enter and the browser will fill them in.

Yes you can do the ctrl-enter but this post was mainly for non-techies, you don't want to be adding things for them, only make it simpler. Plus that only works for ".com" sites.

Sorry, was just adding my 2 cents. So I'll put this disclaimer for anyone reading: "WARNING - TECHNICAL DISCUSSION AHEAD".
Ok now on to business. What you mentioned about leaving out "http://" and "www" will work but if and only if the site is configured to run without www. You have to put it in DNS and in some cases have to configure your web server, depending on your setup. Using names such as "amazon.com" with no "www" is really considered a DNS hack and hard core internet engineers will argue against it. I personally dont care one way or another. Anyway, again, just my 2 cents. Just thought I'd share. Not arguing your point. Was a good note for non techies.

Yes, that was the whole point of the article alluded to, most sites are setup to "run w/o the www". Hack or not it is what works.

Post a Comment