« Home | Denny's Family » | Start a fire w/ Coke and a Hershey's » | Happenings » | Great Day! » | Camping Trip » | Too Big for Email? » | Houseguests and news » | Claire is Stylin' » | Penny Pics » | A Few Favorites: Free Software » 

Tuesday, May 03, 2005 

Happy Easter?

Not necessarily a little late if you're part of the Orthodox Christian church. They celebrated it this past weekend. My ex-sister-in-law's mother, Bosa, is (and is from Serbia) and this past weekend had the big party for Sunday lunch. Who would've thought that in the middle of OK you could have such a cultural experience. As with Christmas, there were numerous people there from that part of the world (that are now in OK). We had around 15 other people there representing Macedonia, Serbia, Bosnia, and Kansas, Christian, orthodox Christian, and Muslim.
We had a great meal as always starting off with this noodle/chicken-broth soup with homemade bread, followed by Bosa's famous sodoma wich is meat and rice and I'm sure some other stuff all wrapped and stewed in cabbage rolls. The large eggroll-size sodoma are incredibly good and I usually eat way too many, especially with the homemade bread. The guy next to me (and everyone else) had a shot of hard liquor before the meal and asked me if I wanted any. To my decline he said it will get my blood to pumping and increase my appetite. With this kind of a meal, and I'm not joking, that would literally be dangerous as it's hard enough to stop normally. I usually eat so much of the stuff that I get burnt out on it after only one meal and don't want any of it till the next holiday get together.
Then came the cracking of the eggs. You hold your boiled Easter egg and then try to crack your neighbors. If theirs cracks and yours doesn't you get theirs too.
After this came out the cheeses and dried meats and desserts. Then next came what can best be described as a Yugoslavian style rave. Loud ethic music, singing and dancing, or even circle group dancing. It was a sight to see, and hear, all the language and customs of cultures from the other side of the world. And I didn't have to go to the arts festival to see it.