Minor Updates
Been a slight while since I updated with any news besides remodel work and I'm sure most tire of it. Well a great development has been done for my photo site smugmug. They now have a plugin for Picasa so I can upload all my photos as easily as I do to Picasa Web Albums.
Why is this news? Well before it was harder, duh. Web Albums (free) also limits you to 1GB of space so if I uploaded full size pics it would quickly fill up. Smugmug while it does have a yearly cost is unlimited in your storage size (I'm currently over the 1GB Web Album size). To me this is a great security feature for some of my most precious material items. What would happen if my external backup drive and my PC got fried by lightning or the house burned down or the hard drive crashed bad (as most will eventually do)? Do I want to pay them a yearly fee for life, probably not, but there will come along other solutions and media formats/systems that will alleviate some of that risk.
Just looking at the costs, here is the yearly breakdown:
-Smugmug - $35 unlimited space, with videos $55
-Web Albums - 1GB free, included videos, 1-10GB $20, 10-40GB $75
-Flickr - 100MB/mo free, $25/yr unlimited
Hmm, I'll have to consider that. Either price is pretty cheap though when you've talked with people that have lost 3-5 years worth of memories and baby pictures when their computer died in a non-recoverable way. (We also have most of our film negatives at a relatives house as well).
On a sadder, freakier note, my brothers wiener dog of 14yrs got ran over and had to be put down on Saturday. Then today my mom called and said their wiener dog got ran over and died too. Edie (our lab) is not allowed outside w/o constant supervision now.
The new 4 random pics at the top are just that from the past 4 months respectively. Fed via my smugmug site, so if you want to see more of that month, click on the pic above or below:
Also realized why they call our housing addition "Old Farm". Being the only trick-or-treaters many of them got Wednesday, our kids loaded up! [Dr. Drake Ramoray and Snow White]
Why is this news? Well before it was harder, duh. Web Albums (free) also limits you to 1GB of space so if I uploaded full size pics it would quickly fill up. Smugmug while it does have a yearly cost is unlimited in your storage size (I'm currently over the 1GB Web Album size). To me this is a great security feature for some of my most precious material items. What would happen if my external backup drive and my PC got fried by lightning or the house burned down or the hard drive crashed bad (as most will eventually do)? Do I want to pay them a yearly fee for life, probably not, but there will come along other solutions and media formats/systems that will alleviate some of that risk.Just looking at the costs, here is the yearly breakdown:
-Smugmug - $35 unlimited space, with videos $55
-Web Albums - 1GB free, included videos, 1-10GB $20, 10-40GB $75
-Flickr - 100MB/mo free, $25/yr unlimited
Hmm, I'll have to consider that. Either price is pretty cheap though when you've talked with people that have lost 3-5 years worth of memories and baby pictures when their computer died in a non-recoverable way. (We also have most of our film negatives at a relatives house as well).
On a sadder, freakier note, my brothers wiener dog of 14yrs got ran over and had to be put down on Saturday. Then today my mom called and said their wiener dog got ran over and died too. Edie (our lab) is not allowed outside w/o constant supervision now.
The new 4 random pics at the top are just that from the past 4 months respectively. Fed via my smugmug site, so if you want to see more of that month, click on the pic above or below:
Also realized why they call our housing addition "Old Farm". Being the only trick-or-treaters many of them got Wednesday, our kids loaded up! [Dr. Drake Ramoray and Snow White]