Google Love, for now
Google has aquired another cool software package and given it away for free. SketchUp allows you to create accurate 3D models so easily and intuitively that my dad could even do it (not a slam, he just doesn't use the computer much). I recently made a graph-paper sketch of my flower bed for my sister-in-law to help me with. Wish I'd used this instead of the graph paper. Need to rearrange the room? Save your back and do it here first. Color and texturize it to see how your room will look a differnt color. You can also import models like furniture or cars or buildings that you don't want to draw.Also very cool, you can then import them into Google Earth and see a 3D model of the world. View some of the tutorials to give you an idea if it could help you. It really is very easy, I'm not just saying that from an engineering perspective.