Internet Necessities
(not a revelation and stating the obvious to most)
Too frequently from friends and relatives I get a call concerning their computer that is failing for some reason. It's not the calls I mind (actually I enjoy helping out) but for those with email, it can be a killer, especially if they have not backed up their pc.
Enter the web-based email. I see it as a necessity now to have at least one address that is web based. Access it anywhere, never loose those important emails or addresses of loved ones. As they get more user friendly and have more options it only sweetens the pot. My current fav, Gmail, even allows you to have emails sent to it forwarded to other addresses (such as a home account).
Also as will continue to be the trend, people move or change service providers. If your email is through them, you have to notify everyone you've changed emails and hopefully they get it. There are actually services that have come about because of just that.
You may love using Outlook vs using a web interface, that's ok too. Most allow you to download the email into Outlook and even keep a copy on the server. I prefer to have two email addresses at least, one for friends and fam, one for online orders or signups that will likely become a spam account as it gets sold. Yahoo Mail now has a trial program where their web interface looks more like a desktop application similar to Outlook.
If anyone would like to try out Gmail, it is by invite only, just let me know.
Too frequently from friends and relatives I get a call concerning their computer that is failing for some reason. It's not the calls I mind (actually I enjoy helping out) but for those with email, it can be a killer, especially if they have not backed up their pc.
Enter the web-based email. I see it as a necessity now to have at least one address that is web based. Access it anywhere, never loose those important emails or addresses of loved ones. As they get more user friendly and have more options it only sweetens the pot. My current fav, Gmail, even allows you to have emails sent to it forwarded to other addresses (such as a home account).
Also as will continue to be the trend, people move or change service providers. If your email is through them, you have to notify everyone you've changed emails and hopefully they get it. There are actually services that have come about because of just that.You may love using Outlook vs using a web interface, that's ok too. Most allow you to download the email into Outlook and even keep a copy on the server. I prefer to have two email addresses at least, one for friends and fam, one for online orders or signups that will likely become a spam account as it gets sold. Yahoo Mail now has a trial program where their web interface looks more like a desktop application similar to Outlook.
If anyone would like to try out Gmail, it is by invite only, just let me know.