« Home | Parable of the Sower » | Real Life » | Fighting Sandman » | Growing up » | Cookie Monsters » | Sweet Dreams » | Mundane » | First Time » | Tulsa Times » | Spring Break » 

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 

I see the future

Well this isn't going to be about those numerous odd dreams I had in grade school that then came true (more like intense déjà vécu), I'll save that for another post.

This is about the cool tech that is rapidly coming our way save for some cataclysmic event.

Multi-touch screens seem to be the future. The latest news is Microsoft's implementation called Surface (video). A nice ad with the link to give you a 'feel' for it. But something tells me Microsoft's implementation won't let me drag songs to any MP3 player either, especially that of a friend with all the DRM they try to lock down stuff with.

Thankfully, screens are getting cheaper and bigger which allows this type of interaction for the masses. Thinner (video) as well which could easily lead to invisibility clothing where cameras video what's behind you and show it in front of you on these thin screens and has already been done with "rougher" implementations. Though I would like to see some computers like those of "Mission to Mars".

Earlier and a little more interesting than an ad, is the Adobe TED conference where multi-touch was highlighted: Great video and another follow up showing expanded capabilities.

I guess this will be ok as a stop gap solution until I can control my computer via brain waves, which is also coming soon. Course, that might not be a good thing for some of my readers and their frustration with the things, especially if it took the "die, die, die, you stupid piece of junk" too literally. You know who you are.

Labels: , ,

Somehow I doubt the Microsoft Surface technology with ever catch on with the home user. Maybe I'm wrong, but I see it more in arcades, corporate business meetings, etc.

I do think that the wireless reading in of the photos was pretty cool. Put the camera on the table, and pretty soon your photo just appears.

I see multi-touch screens being much more useful with smaller devices. (COUGH iPhone COUGH)

Post a Comment