« Home | It's Tricky » | Fudgesicle » | Mimi's girl » | Birthday party fun » | She was Swingin'.... » | Movie Watching » | Supper Thyme » | Claire Sleeping » | Getting Ready » | New but Old » 

Thursday, August 25, 2005 

New Memory Capture

Got a new Canon SD200 a few days ago and I really like it. I dare say that the pic is close to actual size. Very pocket-able. It's smaller and much lighter than my last one and has a lot of improvements from a faster processor to a better lens system for cleaner pics. Plus the view screen is bigger and it can take 640x480 movies (at 30fps!) till the card fills up. I got the same 3.2 megapixels (MP) for a couple of reasons. For normal pics and computer work larger is just overkill since it's shrunk down in size anyways. Normal print sizes look just as good as well. Two, is that it's cheaper and I don't have to worry as much about having to replace it, say if you drop it in the lake or something silly.

Can a camera get too small? In this form factor, yes, I think. A friend had one of those credit-card thin cameras (Casio?) and it didn't [couldn't] take very good pictures. The main reason was because of it's size and shutter button location, you couldn't keep your hand still enough when you clicked the shutter so a lot of pictures were blurry. Also, I'd imagine that this (already outdated) tech will be ancient in a couple years as they come out with the new "fluid lenses". They change the shape of the liquid lens to zoom up to 10x mag so the zoom barrel on almost all snapshot cameras may be a thing of the past. And hey, another full week of posts!